Friday, March 21, 2014

No Matter Where You Go, There You Are...

HERE IT IS.....it's what I call my babysitter lunch. That is the term I used when I was a kid. It was the type of food you get served when your mom works full time and you went to a babysitter. I've had tuna sandwiches with chips before that were made by my mom, (not very often because they weren't my favorite) and they never tasted the same at the babysitter's house. Everything from texture to smell and taste when you're there is not HOME. I admit that I am no Betty Crocker for sure but as far as I know, tuna fish does not have one set recipe that we all follow. Some use mayo some use salad dressing, some put pickles in it and some don't. Everything from the amounts to the ingredients very. Now, I was fortunate to have great babysitters. They all loved me and treated me like their own. I became a part of their families. I consider myself a lucky girl.

With my daughter being in Korea and me being here in Phoenix away from everyone familiar and not what I always knew as home, I made myself this tuna sandwich and chips for lunch today. No big deal right? Wrong!!! I didn't just make lunch. I made comfort. Obviously feeling a little homesick this morning I chose to go to what I know. To make something familiar and comforting. While I am not overwhelmed with sadness or any type of depressed feeling, I just felt the "missing" part today.  It's natural, we all do. No matter how bad or miserable you could be there at times, it will always be your home and what you know.

I don't regret for one minute being right where I am today. I LOVE it here! I made this my NEW HOME. I was the only one who could. There is a sense of pride knowing that everything here today is what I have made it to be. I showed myself and others that it is possible. We can easily forget what we are capable of, doubt our strengths, and slide back towards the spiral vortex that holds some negativity. You know whats in there are the things that make us feel sad, or "less than". We have the strength to overcome that to get past a lonely moment, to feel the strength and not feel like the victim. We can make a new place our HOME and be happy.

Even if your comfort is a sandwich that sparks a memory, use it! Our strengths come from our inner tool box. You just have to find the right tools and use them!!!

1 comment:

  1. That's right! So, when I made you tomato soup and grilled cheese at my house, I'm guessing I hit the mark!

    ReplyDelete