Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Feel the Music...

You know when you hear that song come on that sparks a memory. At that moment it seems we loose ourselves in it. You remember where you were, what you were doing, or who it reminded you of. Although the memories may not always be good, they were YOUR moments, YOUR memory, a part of your story.

I have relied on music most of my life. As a kid, I would ride my 10-speed around the neighborhood and listen to my little black tape recorder playing songs that felt as though they could make or break my life. The WORDS, the BEAT, the way it made me FEEL. Each new song I heard related to a time frame in my life.

Music is not just music to me. It obviously triggers memory,   but for me it enhances my moods. When I feel bad, I can put on a playlist of songs that are upbeat, and I feel happy. When I used to work out and didn't have any motivation...I could play music to motivate me. I learned pretty quick that music was one of the food groups for my soul. I know doing good things, and making good choices contribute to the health within me, but music...MUSIC fills me and touches me deep down inside. If I feel sad and lonely I certainly do not want to play a sappy love ballad right?!?!?! When it is time for us to put our babies to bed, do we ever sing a song similar to 10 Little Monkeys? 

Music can be felt. It is not something that you reach out and touch, it isn't even something that is identical to each person. Music is one thing we tailor to ourselves. The same song can affect me differently than another person sitting in the same room, on the same day, at the same time, as I am and they will gain their own perception. It will create their own memory. It will slide into their soul to be absorbed differently than it did me. To me that is what makes music so SPECIAL. What I get from it may never be the same thing that another person does...but it's mine. 
 What song did you hear today that fed your soul?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment