Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Gifts A Presence Can Bring!




     HOMONYMS are words that sound alike yet have different meanings. I was thinking about my friendships today. I am very fortunate to have friends that bring me presents even when it is not my birthday or Christmas. I like them. I get as excited as I did when I was a young(er) girl. I giggle and swoon over the treasures I get from people who thought about me. I have said it many times, I have some of the best friends in the entire world.

     The reason I was thinking about homonyms today is because of the two words presence/presents. While I do love presents, today I enjoy the presence of others in my life. Its the human contact when possible, the sound of their voice on the other end of the phone, the feeling of sitting beside another human being. Cosmo is by far the one who is around me the most and while he living and breathing, his conversational skills are a bit to be desired at times. Sometimes, his words sound the same.



I am fortunate enough to have many friends. Since I moved to Phoenix from Washington State two years ago, I have only made a handful of friends. While none of them will every replace the ones I have had, they fit in my life very nicely. I feel lonely at times and find myself wishing, "so-and-so" was here, or I could really use a night in with "what's her name". (Just referencing kids, I know your names)! I have made a few new friends and here and some of them have stuck around and become very dear to me. I have a friend here that I have known for years who is a rock in my foundation here in Phoenix. I find friendships to be necessity. In a day and age of technology, internet dating, and impersonal ways to interact, it is important to me to always remember presence. My favorite way to communicate will always be a little "old school". I could text you, but I love to hear your voice, I could email you, but I would rather meet up for lunch or coffee and tell you about my day. Little things that go along way.

Since my health status changed and I  am unable to return to work, I find I get lonely more often. I'm not out in the world sharing my smile and helping others like I could in my customer service positions. I feel lucky to have friends that are there for me and who do take the time to get together, but I think we can never know enough people. I extend the hand of friendship to almost anyone, always have been that way. My Mom will tell you that I have "never known a stranger". It's true. I will start a conversation out the window of a car in a traffic jam!

We never know what our next lesson is, or who it is going to come from. If we hibernate in the confines of our own little realms, we may miss a valuable "present", someone's friendship, story, experience, strength, and hope. We can't ever tell if they will be around for a reason, a season, or a lifetime,  but isn't it worth the risk? I always say YES! So even if you're just going to the store today, take the time to look someone in the eye and smile, strike up a conversation with someone who may seem different than you, expand your world. It can get really small, really quick, and it gets lonely. Share something positive with the world today and see what happens! Happy Thoughts Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment