Monday, February 24, 2014

It Doesn't Happen On It's Own


Today is the day I "officially" start my healthy eating and caring for myself regimen. As some of you know, along with my lung issues, I also have an auto-immune disease they are calling LUPUS. All of my lab reports point to this but until I get off the high doses (40 mg daily) of steroids, we cannot get a definite confirmation. At any rate I am a firm believer on doing my part to make myself feel better, look better, and be better. I am the only one responsible for taking care of myself and being raised by great parents who taught me right from wrong, I know what needs to be done. Laziness and unimportant things in life have kept me from that in the past and I can't afford to let it slide anymore. Being a single parent most of my life, I never did learn to do sick well. I always push myself and while that used to work in some aspects when I was younger, the truth in mortality is that I am not as young as I used to be. I DO believe we all have a choice. We can dwindle like weeds and exist in this thing called LIFE until the end, or we can be like FINE WINE and do what we need to do and just keep getting better with age!

I chose LIFE!  I don't mean that all I want to do is just breathe and exist, I want to LIVE! This is what brought me to the realization that while a bacon cheeseburger, Doritos, and cheesecake are amazing,..I have to make some adjustments. I am already at a battle with the steroids. Anyone who has ever been on them knows they make you gain weight in inconvenient places and mess with your serenity!

I started a couple weeks ago switching to a vitamin supplement that I add to my water daily and it has absolutely helped. I am terrible about getting the amount of fruits and vegetables I should daily so I discovered my Super Magic Bullet will do more than just grind coffee beans. :) I can pulverize some spinach, banana, Greek yogurt, and almonds and drink it like a shake. It helps. I have only added it to my daily food routine, I haven't made it "just a meal" yet. I have come up with some other concoctions that some have turned out o.k. and some...well, I choked it down. At any rate. I have always been a firm believer in the food pyramid that used to be on the back of every loaf of bread or box of cereal. Whole foods...natural sources....I am not a fan or "organic", not opposed...I'm just too cheap. I just try and shop with my focus on unprocessed items. I am by no means perfect at this, nor do I ever expect to be, but some changes are better than none.

Now that I have been doing this a couple of weeks along with walking the dog further and more consistently...and pushing myself to follow thorough, I feel better and now feel like adding some toning exercises in on the days we don't do our extended walk. I think Yoga poses are a great start. Wish me luck everyone and do something good for yourself today! Even if it's little it's SOMETHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment