Thursday, May 1, 2014

A Change In What Comforts You...

Recent visits with the doctors have brought about another change in my lifestyle. I know it's for the better, but I am independent and slightly resistant to change. Since I was diagnosed with a connective tissue disease that features abnormal immune system activity with inflammation in my tissue (LUPUS), I have been told I am a lung transplant is not an option. When surgeons consider doing transplant operations, they look at the odds. Those of us with connective tissue disease generally have a very low success rate as our tissue will not connect and accept the new organ. Being faced with that, you look at what CAN be done.

Well, I still have 48% total capacity left that is still good. What can I do to improve that or keep it from deteriorating? I get to try pulmonary therapy. This is generally for patients with Emphysema in which they breathe "differently" than I do but we are going to see if they can adjust it to fit my need.

Next....is diet. Relieving the body of excess weight and certain ingredients will allow daily tasks to become easier and build muscle instead of putting all the burden on the lungs. Basically, I have to go low carbohydrate and gluten free! I didn't realize it but since this "ruling" I have been taking in all the carbs and gluten I can find!!! All of these foods involved have been my comfort. I couldn't help but throw my own little internal FIT because I feel I have been stripped of everything that soothes me over the past year! Figuratively speaking, I had to take the time to bang my spoon on the high chair and cry it out. Now that that was over, I had to start looking at the positive. I was going to live, my health is going to improve, this will enable me to feel better overall. This new lifestyle is going to be my NEW comfort. Is this the kind of thing it takes before we get up and do something GOOD for ourselves? The thought is a little alarming...but its true. I would have never given these things up on my own.

Think about what it will take for you today? Is there a small change you can make today that will make a difference in your health? Is it worth it to exercise a couple of times a week now to lessen the chances of a heart attack later? I used to think I was an exception to a lot of life's rules. I found out.....I'm just HUMAN. Make a change for you today....YOUR WORTH IT!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I am so excited for you. My daughter is gluten, dairy, and soy intolerant. Since she cut all of those things out of her diet, she is a mean machine. She also goes to the gym often too. She swears that this can cure a lot of diseases.

    We know some people whose child, a boy about eight years old, lost his ability to walk. Even Mayo Clinic could not find out what caused it. Beth pushed about the gluten free diet. Now the child is up and moving as though he had not spent months in a wheelchair.

    I go to pulmonary therapy twice a week for an hour of exercise on the treadmill and some other machine. I feel worse if I miss going.

    This summer we plan for the entire household to go gluten-free.

    Keep searching and we'll keep hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gayle. I feel hopeful and glad that something is finally beginning to change. I am not sure about all the gluten free stuff but bread is my best friend. LOL!

    ReplyDelete